Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 350: Alyce in Walmart

She was standing alone at her register, which was an odd sight. I had been cruising past all the registers only to find all of them with lines of people in them. Except for Alyce's. I took it as a sign from God.

So before I even had lugged my milk up on the conveyor belt, I asked her my question. She thought about that for a moment, and said that I could pray for her. Anybody could pray for her, she said. Then she asked what church I went to. So I gave her my credentials. That satisfied her, apparently. She didn't have time for me to pray for her right there, though. I told her I would pray for her later.

Her name badge said Alyce. And she was 60-something years old and told me about her shift. Some days, she works from 4 p.m. to midnight. There's more people in Walmart than you would think at midnight, she said, but many of them are very nice people.

No comments:

Post a Comment