Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 320: Shopping carts

He was fumbling in the Walmart parking lot with a long line of shopping carts. It was his job to get them back into the store using one of those electric-powered buggies that pushes them along. He appeared to me to be struggling with it, however. When I saw him, I was walking out of the store with a few items to tide us over for the weekend. We'd just gotten back from Colorado about an hour earlier. (It's really hot here!)

At the sight of the cart pusher, I did all I could do: I took him my own shopping cart. That's kind of mean, I realize, but it gave me a chance to offer him a prayer. "Pray for me?" he said, smiling curiously. I told him about my project. The guy was probably no more than 20 years old. But he agreed to let me pray for him. "I could probably use all the prayers I can get," he said. So I bowed my head and prayed right then. The guy giggled, a little nervously, at that moment. But the prayer was over in a few seconds, and I shook his hand and thanked him. He went back to his cart work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment