Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 318: A Messianic Jew

He was driving a very old, very beat up Honda. It was full of junk. There’s not much other way to describe it. I can’t say for sure the guy was living out of the car – he didn’t look like it – but there was enough stuff in there to live off of. The guy himself had gray hair and a beard, along with a wide-brimmed hat. He was wearing a collared shirt and shorts.

When I walked up to him, he turned around quickly and greeted me with a loud voice. I asked to pray for him and got the usual hesitation. I told him about my project and that it wasn’t for any reason that I wanted to pray for him in particular. (In other words, I wasn’t judging the car.)

He said I could pray for him, but then stopped me. "Who are we praying to?" he asked. I told him Jesus (which is what I tell people to make sure they’re clear that this would be a Christian prayer). This is where he got a little aggressive. "How about we pray to his Father?" I told him that would be great.

Then he stuck out his hand, I took it, and he prayed for me. It was a very Jewish-sounding prayer. After he finished, I prayed for him in Jesus’ name. I asked him then whether he was a Christian. He fumbled for a minute and then said he was a Messianic Jew. "I believe Yeshua is coming back. But not in a wimpy way. He’s coming in a big way," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment