Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 158: On the job

I was standing in the bread aisle, admiring the vast array of Sara Lee loaves, wondering if I could find any priced under $1.50. I couldn't. Behind me, a guy was stocking shelves. So I turned around and asked him my question.

He's from another country -- his accent said as much. But he shook his head in response, a little sadly even. "I'm at work," he said. "I would have loved for you to have prayed for me." We went back and forth on that last comment before I could understand it under his thick accent. He strongly emphasized the word "loved."

Well, I don't think being at work is a good excuse not to get a prayer. So I turned toward the shelf he was standing at and said, "Keep working." Then I bowed my head and prayed. He bowed his head as well. He looked at me later with a huge smile. "God bless," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment