Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 157: A driving cap

He looked very professorial, with his graying beard and his driving cap. We were standing at a gas station while the sleet was falling gently around us. It was cold, but not horrible. I asked him my question.

His guard was up. He asked me the normal questions about why I would want to pray for him, and I told him about my plan to pray for one person every day. He gradually agreed to let me -- after some more hesitation about whether I should pray for him right there on the spot. "Ten seconds. I promise," I said.

Eventually, I did pray for him right there. True to my word, it took about 10 seconds, praying for his safety on a slick night. He seemed to remember his faith then. "God bless," he said, holding out his hand to shake mine. He told me his name was John. We shook hands, and then he got into his Chrysler and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment