Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 140: Leeker's

I'm not sure whether I laughed audibly or whether it was internal. But after I looked up from my prayer for the clerk at Leeker's Family Foods in Park City, I was looking into the face of a young woman truly puzzled by what had just happened.

Her name was Millie, or Minnie -- I couldn't quite tell by the worn name badge -- and she said with some hesitation that I could pray for her. And so I did, asking God to bless her in her work that evening. There wasn't much time left in the day, so she was probably looking forward to being done with it all.

But she didn't quite know what to make of me, which was most most clear after the prayer itself. She didn't actually say anything. But her expression did -- a look of surprise and an unknowing of how to respond. Normally, I would have just thanked her and left. But I had to stop.

"You've probably never had anyone do that for you before," I remarked. "No, I haven't," she said. So I told her that I hoped it would happen for her again sometime in the future. She only kind of smiled. And that's when I thanked her and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment