Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 146: Two for three

I was in south Wichita today and thought I might as well find someone to pray for while I was there -- a good change of scene. So I found myself picking up a couple of things at a very busy Walmart. It was in a low-income area with a much broader mix of cultures than the Walmart we frequent. It had a noticeably different feel to it.

So I took a walk around the parking lot, making a big circle and finding a big guy slowly making his way toward the door. I asked if I could pray for him. He said that I could. He never really made eye contact, and I think that was because he had trouble seeing. But a prayer was OK and when I finished, he said he would pray later for me, too. "So you're a believer then," I said. He chuckled. "Yes I am."

A moment later, I was back in my car and another guy passed by, making a long, slow walk across the parking lot. I'm not sure where he was headed. But I circled my car around and caught up to him, rolling down my window and asking him my question. He looked me over. "No. Not today." And then he turned his back and kept walking. There was nothing I could do. But it reaffirmed my belief that you've got to get out of your car to witness -- get on the same level with people.

On my way home, I had to make one more stop. And so I got out of my car again and made another big loop at our local Walmart. I encountered a young guy, a Walmart employee, moving carts next to the building. He wore a silver cross around his neck. A strange look came across his face when I asked my question.  "What?" So I asked again. And he reluctantly agreed, and we prayed. Then I looked right at the cross he wore. I asked, "You're a believer, aren't you?" He said he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment