Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 143: Hooks

I was at Home Depot looking for hooks – the kind you screw into a wall – for a church project. A few feet away in the hardware aisle was an employee, a guy about 40 years old with short hair speckled with gray. His name was Chris, as far as I could tell from his worn orange apron.
When he came around the corner to do some inventory of some products, we chatted for a moment. “How are you doing?” “Great!” “And you?” “Great!” That kind of stuff. Real deep.
But then I found what I needed and, taking a long look around, stepped over next to him. “I’ve got a question for you,” I said. “OK,” he replied, not looking up. He was moving some things around on the shelves.
Wanting to get his attention a little more, I added: “It’s kind of a weird question.” To this, he gave much the same response, still working with those shelves. So I just asked him: “Can I pray for you?”
He shot upright then, and turned to look at me. “Why?” He surely was surprised. So I told him about how I like to pray for at least one person every day. This satisfied him. “Well, in that case, absolutely you can,” he said.
So I prayed there for him, that God would bless him as he finished out his work for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment