Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 148: Snowy night

I took a different route home through the snow and the cold, stopping at a Kwik Shop that I rarely visit. An old guy was working on filling up a little gasoline container in the bed of his pickup truck. He was bundled up -- gloves and stocking cap. He looked at me, disinterested.

"Can I pray for you?" I asked. He chuckled out loud then. "I wish somebody would!" he said, turning to look at the gas pump, ticking away the dollars. He didn't look back, and I was standing there in the cold waiting. I didn't wait for long.

"Is that a yes?" I asked. He glanced back at me, and then turned again toward the pump. I was looking at the back of his stocking cap. "You're free to do whatever you want," he said, "Whatever turns you on." OK. "Well, this turns me on," I replied.

So I prayed a prayer for his safety for that snowy night. He never turned around at me. Never even looked. "Thanks!" I said. He kind of mumbled one in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment