Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 153: The coach

He was driving a red pickup, his wife in the passenger's seat as he filled up with gas. He was just standing like a statue in his black leather jacket, watching the numbers add up. I asked him my question, and he had a questioning look on his face. "About what?" he asked. He was somewhere in his 30s, with a buzz-cut head. There was friendliness in his tone.

I told him how I liked to pray for one person every day. He was agreeable to it. "I've got time," he said. So I prayed for him, asking God to bless him in whatever he was doing that night. He said he was just getting ready to go grocery shopping with his wife.

He thanked me, and then he asked me where I was from. He said he was from a small town nearby, and had come into Wichita to see a movie. In talking, I discovered he was the football coach in his town. His team finished the year 6-3, and he had expected that. He expected success next year, too.

Obviously, the conversation turned to the sorry state of the Valley Center football program. I'm not sure when VC won its last game, and he agreed things are grim. But he said he knew the last coach and the current one, and both are good coaches. "You just don't have much to work with," he said. That's not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment