Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 154: 'Alrighty then'

She wasn't happy with the question. That much was for sure. She wasn't overly talkative to begin with, but when when I asked her there in the check-out lane at Leeker's if I could pray for her, her demeanor was even less personable.

She was suspicious, then a little condescending, in telling me that yes, indeed, I could pray for her if I really wanted to. I'd seen her many times before there. She was probably 25 years old and usually friendly enough. But right then, her eyes told the story. She just wanted me to take my receipt and go away. But as I reached for my box of doughnuts and gallon of milk, I bowed my head and prayed for her, that she would be blessed on a Sunday of work.

Afterward, she was curt. "Alrighty then," she said. It was a cool sort of curt, like I was the idiot and she was just tolerating me. She wouldn't make eye contact as she wished me a good day. I wished her the same. And as I walked out of the store, it was one of those rare moments where I felt for certain that someone was totally missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment