Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 112: 'No more free coffee'

That was the sign taped just above the 16-ounce cups at the new Kwik Shop. I was slightly deflated. So the honeymoon was over. But I poured some anyway and walked to the front counter.

The clerk was a short young woman named Lita. I had a moment of hesitation, because I'd prayed for someone here before -- also a short young woman -- and there was a chance it was this same person. Not that that's a problem. But I really was hoping to finish this project by praying for a different person every day.

So I just asked her: "Have I prayed for you before?" Kind of out of the blue, I know, and she got this puzzled look on her face, smiling a little. "No," she replied. Good, I told her, because I wanted to pray for her then. She agreed, and I did -- just a simple prayer for God's blessing on a good night at work.

She thanked me and I left, non-free coffee in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment