Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 128: A youth pastor

One of Satan's greatest lies is that witnessing is useless. Satan tells us that people don't want to hear it, that it's a private matter, that you're not smart enough to talk about things of the faith. Mostly, he tells us we'll be rejected if we bring up our faith. But it's a lie.

I am convinced of this because after 128 days of this project, I've been surprised time and again how many people say yes to the basic notion of Christ -- even when some voice inside of me is telling me they'll say no.

Today, I stopped at a hotel that is on my way home from work, walking into the lobby of the Best Western and talking to the attendant who was working behind the desk. The first look on his face was one of surprise, then doubt, when I asked my question. But he said grudgingly that it would be OK. So I prayed there for him.

And he looked up and thanked me. He was a young man, about 30 years old. I told him "Merry Christmas" and started to walk away. But he stopped me. "What's your name?" he asked. I told him, and he asked what church I attended. We talked for a few moments then. Turns out he is a youth pastor at a Baptist church in Wichita. He apologized for his initial reaction to my question. "You just caught me off guard," he said.

That's a normal reaction, I told him, one I got a lot. The important thing is how one reacts in their heart later. He thanked me then and we shook hands.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment