Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 124: Get out!

I'd driven many times past the M. Bruenger truck terminal, where semi-trailers are stored and their drivers come and go. And many times I'd thought about driving in and talking to the guy in the little booth at the front. He's always there in the evenings, sitting in away from the cold, usually leaning back in a chair, watching TV.

Tonight I did. He was just as he always was when I pulled in, but I could see him watching me as I approached. Even before I got out of my car, I could see his eyes on me. They were suspicious eyes. But I hopped out, and he pulled open the old wood door of the hut. He just looked at me. He didn't say a word.

"Excuse me," I said. "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just thought I'd stop in to see if I could pray for you." His face contorted a little, and he rocked back in his chair. "Oh, get out of here, man," he said, shooing me away with his gloved hand. He was still staring at me intently: "The street's out there!"

I started to back away then. What else can a guy do? But then he said, "What do you want?" His hand was still on the door, poised to slam it shut. But he hadn't moved from his chair. "I just wanted to pray for you," I said, as politely as could be.

His eyes were ugly. "Make a U-turn and get out of here," he said.

So I left. Not exactly a U-turn. I just backed straight up. But the whole while, those eyes were watching me.

I've never had a response like that. But I knew it would come some day. On my way home, I rejoiced about it. During the past couple of weeks, I've felt God preparing me for moments like this one. He's sent me to 1 Peter for a reason. I'm blessed.

And I prayed for that guy as I drove. I don't believe there's any love for God in his heart. I don't know any Christian who would have reacted in the way he did. So I prayed that somehow God would use that moment for good -- for saving good.

No comments:

Post a Comment