Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 123: Restless

He was standing at the corner of the convenience store when I pulled in for gas. He was a guy about 35 years old with a goatee and wearing a big black jacket. And he was talking excitedly on the phone. It was a happy excitement though. I couldn't help but pick up tidbits of the conversation. He used a lot of slang and was talking to a brother that he loved -- or at least someone he called his brother. And he was pacing back and forth. Maybe it was to stay warm, but I think it was just in his nature. He seemed to have a restless energy to him.

I'm pretty sure he was waiting for someone to come pick him up. I just bided my time while I pumped gas. And then I walked over to him. He greeted me with a smile, and I asked him my question. His eyes lit up a little, and then I explained that there wasn't any reason in particular that I wanted to pray for him -- that this was just something I wanted to do for him on the spot.

"That's really interesting," he said, seeming genuinely impressed by the offer. "Absolutely, you can say a prayer for me." Then he stuck out his hand, and I took it, praying for God to be near him and to bless him. It was the first time I remember someone doing that -- sticking out a hand for a close prayer.

When I finished, he looked at me and thanked me. "You're a really good dude," he said. "That was really good of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment