Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 97: Free coffee

The sign beckoned. A free 16-ounce cup of coffee. It has been the major promotion at the new Kwik Shop in town. And it apparently is working. I walked in and stood over the coffee bar and noticed immediately there were no 16-ounce cups left. Just an empty cup dispenser. I looked on another bar behind me. Again, none. The clerk standing next to the deli -- another new and improved feature of this revamped convenience store -- noticed me casting about and told me just to use the 24-ounce cups. 

That's a lot of coffee. Especially for 6 p.m. But who was I to argue? I also grabbed some M&Ms for Mary and walked to the counter. The clerk told me the coffee special was really popular. Obviously. She was about 20 years old and friendly. But she talked so softly I could barely hear her. I spoke up when she handed me my receipt, asking her my question.

Her head moved back and a puzzled look crossed her face. "Why?" she asked. I told her my story, that this was just something I did for people every day. So she agreed, and I prayed for her. She thanked me as I left. I'm not sure what she thought of it. Her face was mostly expressionless.

Once I got home, Mary was appalled. "That's a lot of coffee!" she said before showing off my huge cup to the kids. Four-year-old Isabella acted particularly shocked, gasping in surprise. I tried to defend myself: "It's free!" I argued weakly. Mary didn't say anything about the M&Ms. I might eat them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment