Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 109: Absolutely

I went out tonight kind of late to find someone to pray for. I’d passed up at least two opportunities already today and was determined to be aggressive.
I wound up at a gas station I don’t normally frequent. It’s kind of out of the way. But there was a guy there, hovering over the gas nozzle, carefully topping off his car as his head was tilted back toward the pump, counting the pennies as they added up.
He was about done, so I pulled in quickly beside him. He looked like your average guy with jeans and beard. He wasn’t tall, but he was stocky. He wore glasses. I got his attention as he was moving around to get into his car.
He turned and walked over to me, and I asked, “Can I pray for you?” He didn’t hesitate. “Absolutely?” So I did, praying for him in whatever he was doing that evening and in whatever his work was. When I looked up, I saw that his head was bowed with his hands were clasped in front of him.
Then he looked me in the eye and shook my hand. “I need all of those I can get,” he said. He smiled a friendly smile, and then he left. It was a good moment and one I was thankful for.
As his car disappeared into the neighborhood across the street, I walked around the other side of the pump and grabbed the gas nozzle. Then I saw the tape, and groaned. “Prepay only.” No place to put a credit card. That’s why my friend was carefully topping off his tank. For me, it was too much work for that late at night. So I left. I didn’t really need gas anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment