Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 120: A trucker

I pulled in next to the semi-truck and looked up at the window. It was dark, but I could see enough to tell someone was sitting in the cab. We were in the parking lot of the Leeker's grocery store in Park City. I don't know why he was there. His truck said he was part of the Kustom Karriers. I forgot to look to see where he was from.

But I knew enough to get out of my car and walk up to the truck. After a moment, the window slowly rolled down, and a round, bearded face was peering down at me, blankly. The driver had a headset on, so I asked if he was on the phone. Over the roar of his truck, he said he wasn't.

That was good, because I told him I wanted to pray for him. The face pulled back slightly. "Why?" he asked.

"Because I just like to pray for someone every day." It was my standard response, and it was followed by the standard long pause. Then he said OK. But his face told me he didn't really want to say that. He really wanted me to leave him alone.

So I told him I wanted to pray for him right then. Again, he really wanted me to go away. "Well," he said, "I'm fixin' to pull out."

"That's OK. I'll be quick." And so I prayed for his safety.

In retrospect, I probably was on the border of being pushy. Maybe I should have just thanked him and left him alone. But afterward, the round face in the window nodded, probably pleased that the prayer was indeed short. So I thanked him then and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment