Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 113: Into the dark

God put me in the right place today. I feel that in my bones. On my way home, I was hoping for a good opportunity to witness to someone. But I struggled -- either lacking the courage or the chance. I was close to home when I passed a car headed for the interstate. Behind me, I could see it suddenly turn on its hazard lights and move toward the side of the road.

I stopped. Well, why not? So I turned around and drove back. When I got to the car, I could see a man -- or maybe it was a boy? -- up ahead and walking away, along the shoulder of the road and into the dark. But the lights still were on in the car, so I stopped there and rolled down my window. It took a moment to get any response. And then the glass across from me rolled down, and I could see a woman sitting there at the wheel. 

She was 30 year old or so, and I asked her if she needed any help. "No, we're fine. Thanks." She looked back ahead. I could hear her engine running then. "Are you broken down?" She responded again. No, they were just fine thanks. She looked forward again. So did I. Whoever he was, he still was walking away. It was about that time it dawned on me what was happening. They really weren't broken down.

So I leaned over even farther, checking the rear-view mirror as I did. I was in the middle of the street, but no one was coming. I looked at the woman. Our cars were about 10 feet apart, so I spoke clearly to make sure she could hear me: "Well now that I've got your attention, can I ask you a question?" 

"Sure," she said. "Can I say a prayer for you?" Her answer was immediate. "Absolutely." So I prayed then for her in that dark evening that God would reach out His loving arms and be near her. She thanked me. I asked if she had any prayer requests, and she said no. There was nothing left to do but drive away then.

In my mirror behind me, I could see her slowly pulling forward, going after that figure that was disappearing into the dark. I guess I'll never know what happened next -- whether they reconciled, whether he got back into the car or whether it just didn't go well. But I prayed that the Holy Spirit would awaken them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment