Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 77: The smile

It's been a struggle these last three days. A nasty head cold has made itself at home. It was perhaps at its worst tonight. I've noticed illness drags away your motivation -- to do anything. But here I was, needing to do something.

We were coming back from Mary's dad's house, not having eaten anything. It was late. I wasn't hungry, but I insisted we stop. I had to stop.

So I was standing at the counter of Taco Bell, ordering two tacos. The thing I remember most was the smile when I asked the cashier if I could pray for him. It was a big, jovial, slightly confused smile. He wasn't turned off. Just curious. 

"Pray for me?" he asked. He was about 25 and of Asian descent. I never really got an answer out of him. I clarified when he asked me why I wanted to do such a thing, and politely told him he could decline. He didn't decline, but he didn't say yes either. So I told him I would pray for him after I left, asking for God's blessing. The smile remained, and he said OK.

So I took my tacos and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment