Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 54: Go Red Sox!

I felt God really placing people in front of me today. On one occasion, I passed the same guy three times in the space of about three blocks -- both of us were wandering around, kind of aimlessly. But just as I was about to talk to him, he disappeared into a building. So I kept walking. It was a beautiful Friday evening in Old Town.

I passed a middle-aged couple and thought about talking to them, but I didn't. I passed a young intelligent looking guy -- big rims on his glasses and all -- and thought about talking to him, but I didn't. I saw a car sitting up ahead with its driver's side door open and thought about talking to the driver, who surely was sitting there, but I didn't. I passed a short guy with a Red Sox t-shirt as he got out of his car. I thought about talking to him, but I didn't.

It's funny because I'm feeling more comfortable with this mission every day. But then I pass up multiple opportunities some days. But I kept walking, eventually rounding the block. And there, sitting in Old Town Square, was the guy with the Red Sox shirt. He was smoking a cigarette. Probably 50 years old, what I most remember about him were his shorts and his white, white legs.

I stopped to ask him if I could pray for him. He paused and looked away, "No, not right now," he said. And then he looked at me. He spoke confidently, not seeming too put off by all this. "What church do you go to?" he asked. I told him Valley Center Christian Church. He nodded, seeming to know where Valley Center was. Then I asked him one more time, because a prayer would only take a few seconds. But he said no. However he told me he appreciated me asking him.

So I told him I would go ahead and say a prayer for him anyway as I walked away. And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment