Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 64: No.

I saw him walking up the street toward me, a guy about 45 years old with a shaved head that showed some white hair. He stopped at the corner and leaned against the building, pulling out his phone to do some texting. He was in front of the Hotel at Old Town, so I figured he was staying there.

I walked up to him and stopped, asking if I could ask him a question. He just looked up at me, but only halfway really, and nodded. He was wearing a white and red striped polo shirt and had a tattoo on his forearm. "Can I pray for you?" I asked.

He straightened up immediately. "No." Then without hesitation, he turned his back on me and walked away. I asked after him whether he was sure. "Yes," he said. By then, he was several strides away and showing no sign of turning.

I prayed for him anyway as I walked back through Old Town, and then wondered later whether I should have. He was direct. There was no doubting his feelings on the subject. He didn't want any part of it. Do we have a responsibility to pray for someone like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment