Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 53: A divorce

I met a friendly guy today who needed a prayer. I was walking along by one of the hotels in Old Town and saw him come out for a smoke break. He was an employee there, dressed all in black.

He greeted me as I came up to him, and I stopped there and asked him my question. He didn't hesitate in saying yes. So I prayed that God would be with him in his work that night and that he'd feel God's presence around him.

He smiled when I finished. "Thank you for doing that. Can I shake your hand?" he asked. I extended mine and we chatted for a minute or so. He asked my name, and I asked his. It was Phillip Morris. "Just like the cigarette company," I blurted. He smiled again. I bet he gets that a lot, but he didn't seem to mind. He was a gregarious guy, one of those who probably never meets a stranger.

Then I asked if there was anything specific he would like me to pray for him after I left. There was. "I'm going through a divorce," he said. "And I want to be a good father to my child. I'm a young dad and I just want to make sure my head's screwed on straight."

I promised him that as I walked back down the street that I would be praying for him and his situation. He thanked me, and I left.

If you have a minute, please say a prayer for Phillip.

No comments:

Post a Comment