Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 57: A smoker

I’m not sure what percentage of the people I’ve met during this project are smokers. But it’s got to be a pretty high one, at least compared to the overall ratio of smokers in Wichita, Kansas. It’s just that smokers have to take breaks, and they have to go outside. And generally, they have to stand still. That makes them perfect targets.
He was smoking in front of the Marriott Hotel in Old Town, a guy about 35 years old wearing a ball cap. He was there when I crossed the street, and  he was there when I crossed over in front of the hotel, and he still was there when I walked up the sidewalk to him.
I asked if I could pray for him, and his answer was almost immediate. “Sure,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. So we prayed. I asked later if there was anything else I could pray for him about, and he said there wasn’t. But he thanked me and shook my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment