Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 52: Smiley

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

It was after dark in Old Town, and as I walked, I prayed that God would reveal to me someone who was on the verge. Someone who was close to making a decision. I wanted God to use me as he instigated a life change in someone. Perhaps God answered my prayer.

He was on the other side of the street when I saw him, so I crossed over and intercepted him. "Can I pray for you?" I asked. He paused for a long moment, looking at the sidewalk between us and then down the street. "Yeah," he said. And then he added, "It's funny you should ask that. I'm homeless. I don't have a job or anything." I found that surprising. He didn't look homeless. Just depressed. He was probably not much older than me. But his face was weathered. He had a tattoo on his neck that read, "Smiley." But I never saw him smile.

He went on to explain his story. His name was Randy, and he was at rock bottom. He felt like everywhere he turned was a closed door. He'd already spent eight years in prison. And recently he'd been through an addiction treatment program and left his hometown of Salina to get away from the temptations that were inherent there. But the halfway house where he was supposed to stay while he looked for work here had no bed for him. So he would be on the street for the next few days.

He told me he had been saved, and he prayed every day. But it was clear he didn't think those prayers had been answered. He was still searching. But he said he didn't believe in coincidences. One of his brothers had been killed recently while walking drunk on the street. Another was cooking meth when his lab blew up in his face. And Randy himself just recently was almost struck by a car while crossing the street.

And there I was, standing in front of him. We had a long talk about God and about how He lifts us up when we are at our lowest point, and how He delights in working through those who are weak. We talked about how God first wants to be in relationship with us. That's why He made us. And we talked about how it is God and God only who can free us from our sin.

We prayed there on the street. I prayed that God would reveal Himself to Randy in a big way, and that He would get this man off dead center and into a close relationship with Him. I asked if there was anything else I could do for him. Randy said he didn't have any money, so I gave him everything that was in my wallet. It wasn't much, just five bucks. Then we shook hands parted.

I prayed for Randy as I walked away. I don't know whether I said the right things, or whether I said too much or not enough. He was a discouraged man, someone beaten down by his own sin. I pray that God will lift him out of that pit.

And one more thing: I have the name of the halfway house where he eventually will be staying. I'm praying for God to tell me whether there's a next step.

Scripture: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    I am getting caught up on your posts and this one hit me hard. Reminds me of someone I love dearly... :)

    Thank you for following God and letting us have a chance to be blessed by it too.

    Stephanie Leighton

    ReplyDelete