Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 55: The pizza delivery guy

It was dark. Really dark. There wasn’t much of a moon in the sky, and the street lights were off in the distance. A big tree blocked any other possible light. So I barely noticed something was different about the car parked in front of me when I left by little brother’s house tonight. I discovered, of course, that it was one of those temporary signs the pizza guy puts on his car when he heads out to make his deliveries.
At first, I started to get into my car and just drive off, but then I sensed this was a good opportunity, so I waited. It took a few moments for the delivery guy to finish up at the house next door and then fumble his way with getting out of that fenced yard.
I kept my hands in plain view as I walked up to him, not wanting to startle him or think he was about to get robbed. To alleviate all his doubts for good, I asked him almost immediately whether I could pray for him. He said I could. Standing next to him, I could just make out his face. He was young, no more than 20. He bowed his head and listened to my prayer for him – for safety and blessings.
Then we shook hands and hopped in our cars, each going different directions.

2 comments:

  1. i'm hooked. what an awesome project! may God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Thanks for your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete