Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 56: Pushing shopping carts

I wound up at Walmart tonight, looking for someone to talk to. The guy I found was a store employee, rounding up shopping carts in the parking lot. I walked up to him and asked if I could ask him a question. “What?” he asked. He was wearing an earpiece, probably so he could be summoned to some other job in the store at a moment’s notice.
He was a young guy, no more than 20. He was wearing shorts and one of those neon green blazers. When I finally did ask my question, he looked confused. “Pray for me?” After a few seconds he agreed, but was a bit surprised then when I bowed my head. But he followed suit, and I prayed for him.
I stuck out my hand after I’d finished – “Thank you Luis!” I said, reading his name badge. He shook my hand. It was wet. (It had been raining that day.) Then I walked into the store.
I bought two gallons of milk and went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment