Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 67: Hunting

It wasn't a big store and, really, was one I hadn't noticed until a few weeks ago, even though it's close to our house. It sells bow-hunting equipment.  It's in a small building and lacks stand-out signage, so you're not to be blamed if you just drive on by.

The parking lot was empty when I pulled in. And at first, I thought maybe the store was, too. Not a soul was in sight when I walked in and stood there, staring at the bows on the wall and the large deer mounts and antlers positioned around the room. "Anybody home?" I called.

A moment later, a short guy came around the corner. He was the owner. He was a friendly guy, in his 50s. I asked if I could pray for him. The question stopped him in his tracks. "Nnnnn," he said quietly (or something like that) as he considered the request. Not sure I heard him, I leaned toward him. "Was that a no?" He stumbled around a little bit more and then asked me, "Why?" So I explained that I liked to pray for at least one person a day, and I had noticed his shop.

He relented eventually, and I said a quick prayer. And then we talked. He had been laid off from Cessna but now was trying to follow his dream. It was difficult. Other stores could pour more money into their offerings, and bigger stores could sell products more cheaply than he could.

But he's been bow-hunting since he was a teenager. "I have faith and I have knowledge," he said. We both agreed those are good things. And I think we agreed a little more marketing -- and a bigger sign out front -- wouldn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment