Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 195: Socks

I needed socks. This wasn't really a pressing need -- although I was getting down a relatively slim number of viable socks that were capable of covering my entire foot, including the heel. But I needed to pray for someone, so I figured now was as good a time to buy socks as any. And like any such trip to Walmart, Mary heaped a couple of more items on me -- bar soap and dog food.

So I was walking through the store with my 10-pack of socks, an eight-pack of soap and a box of Ol' Roy. That's when I came across a guy pushing a shopping car that contained a box fan. I stopped him and asked my question. He just looked back at me with dull, slowly comprehending eyes. Then he said no. So I tried to convince him, telling him I like to pray for someone every day. "No, I don't need it," he said. "I go to church all the time." That was a good enough answer for me, and I didn't push it. So I thanked him, and headed for the cash register with my bounty.

There was an old lady there telling jokes. Actually, she was struggling with the credit card swiper. She kept signing her name and then pushing "cancel," which erased her signature and asked her to sign it again. This occurred several times. When she finally got it figured out, she turned to the cashier: "What did the picture say to the wall? 'First they framed me, and then they hanged me.'" That gave me a chuckle, so I'm passing it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment