Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 178: Two reasons

He was standing like a statue, watching the numbers run up on the gas pump. I stepped around the corner and asked him my question. He glanced at me and looked back at the pump. He was a short guy, wearing an Oklahoma State cap and glasses. "Well ... " he said.

Not much for an answer. So I told him I like to pray for one person every day. I asked him if he had a moment for a quick prayer. "Well," he said again, giving me two reasons why he didn't have a moment: "I've got to finish this (by this, he meant pumping gas). And then I've got to get home."

I wouldn't call them strong reasons why he couldn't spare 10 seconds for a prayer. But I didn't think it was right to push him. He made almost no eye contact this entire time. So I just thanked him and said I wouldn't bother him any longer. I prayed for him later.

No comments:

Post a Comment