Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 193: The fire captain

I don't actually know that he was a captain. But he was high ranking. You could tell by his uniform, and the way he carried himself. I saw him from the street, filling up one of the big red Suburbans that high-ranking fire officials drive around in. He was about 50 years old. His jacket said his name was Eddie.

I turned around and drove over to him. His pump was set well away from other gas pumps, and he was kind of off in the dark. He looked right at me through his glasses as I asked my question. It surprised him. There was that moment of silence, as the cold drizzle fell on us. And then he said, "What?"

So I asked him again, and told him I like to pray for one person every day. He understood then, but shook his head. "No, I'm OK," he said. I asked him then if he was sure. "No thanks, I'm fine," he said. So I left. He wasn't unfriendly. He just didn't want a prayer. I prayed for him anyway on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment