Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 46: Squinting

I saw her slowly pushing a shopping cart to her car when I pulled into the Dillons parking lot. This would be quick, I figured. And it was. I walked up to her and asked if I could ask her a question. By then, she was loading groceries into the back of her SUV. She was a big woman, about 60. She didn't move quickly. And she never stopped what she was doing.

It was a beautiful day, and by this time, the sun was beginning to slant with the evening. "Can I pray for you?" I asked. She paused and squinted at me momentarily, and then went back to her loading. "No," she said resolutely. "I wouldn't be interested right now." I asked if she was sure. It would just take a few seconds. By this time, a second woman had walked up behind the car as well, also pushing a shopping cart. Her mother? But the first woman just told me no. She didn't want to be prayed for. She made it clear she didn't want me there. So I thanked her and left.

As I was leaving the parking lot, I glanced back toward their vehicle. It hadn't moved, and the older woman was looking out the passenger side window, watching me drive off. I prayed for them both as I drove home.

We had dinner with friends tonight, and we talked about this project. They remarked that they wouldn't know how to respond to such a question, if approached by a stranger on the street. I understand that. Until I started this, I don't know how I would have responded. So I don't want to judge someone who says no. But I also don't want to stop being bold. For too much of my life, I've been just the opposite. I never said a word, and that's not going to save anyone. So I'll be bold. People may reject me, and that's fine. But I know God can still work there. He can use that seed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment