Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 45: 'Absolutely'

I remember that word clearly. I stopped by the woman, who was smoking a cigarette outside the Hotel at Old Town, and asked if I could pray for her. The response was immediate. "Absolutely." So I prayed for her to have a safe rest of the day and a good week. It was night by this time. Wednesday is a late day for us at the office. She was a short woman, about 45 years old. The thanked me after I'd finished praying. She said she was from Kansas City.

That concluded my search that day for someone to talk to. I already had passed up three good opportunities that day. In one, a young guy was just sitting in a van listening to music when I pulled into the parking stall next to him. The thought to talk to him was there, certainly, but I told myself perhaps I would do that if he was still there when I left my appointment. Indeed, he was still there. But I didn't talk to him.

Later, I walked right by a guy who was taking old cardboard boxes out of the back of a restaurant in Old Town. I did the same later when a guy walked by on the next street over. And I passed up a chance to talk to a restaurant worker who was sitting out back, smoking a cigarette. After 45 days, you'd think I would have more courage. But it seems so fleeting.

I felt better, though, after I heard that word -- "Absolutely." It makes me wonder about God's provision. I wonder if all these opportunities -- missed opportunities, I initially think -- are just preparation for the one God wants us eventually to take. I don't know what was different about my mindset when I approached her, but she seemed genuinely pleased that I took the effort. I know, however, that it was all God.

No comments:

Post a Comment