Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 23: A cherry limeade

I learned something today. Actually two somethings. The first is that parents should pray for their children. And, perhaps just as importantly, they should make sure their children know they’re praying for them.

A guy named Polo taught me that. I had again spent the day in the office, and so I left intent on finding someone to talk to. I wound up at Sonic of all places. I bought a cherry limeade to take home to Mary. The car hop was a kid about 17 years old. His name badge said “Polo” – like the shirt, he explained. He handed me the drink and asked if I needed anything else. “Yes,” I said, “can I ask you a weird question?” He smiled and said I could. The smile caught my attention – it was from ear to ear – and he said he got a lot of weird questions in his job. So I asked if anyone had prayed for him that day. “No, not today,” he said. And then he stopped and changed his answer -- “Well, my mother did.” That sounded good to me. “She prayed for you today?” I asked. “She prays for me every day,” he said.

I thought that was a great response. He also let me pray for him. When I finished, he gave me another big smile and then stuck out his hand to shake mine. I thought it was a good lesson. He knew his mother was praying for him every day. That’s a comforting feeling, knowing someone always is going to God on your behalf, asking for a blessing for you or for protection or for guidance. But parents should make sure their children know it. I want to make sure my kids know.

The second lesson I learned today was this: Mary is liking this project more and more. The cherry limeade was nice. Yesterday, I bought her gum at the dollar store. And a couple of weeks ago, I bought her M&Ms while looking for someone to pray for. She’s made another suggestion already: Pray for someone who’s selling chocolate cake.

Only if God opens the door.

Scripture of the day: “Remember this – a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give.” – 2 Corinthians 9:6-7a.

No comments:

Post a Comment