Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 44: A 20-cent prayer

I was eager to get out of a conversation with a co-worker. We were standing in front of the office, and I could see a guy walking slowly up the street. The man clearly had nowhere he really needed to go. He was pausing and looking at signs and advertisements on buildings. I couldn't tell whether he was an out-of-town type or not. He was dressed casually and was carrying some sort of a bag. Just as he reached our building, my co-worker finally went inside and I turned toward the man. And he turned toward me.

"Do you have two quarters?" he asked. I could only smile at the question. I was a little short, but I held up my hand anyway. "No, I don't," I said. "But I have two dimes." He seemed happy enough with that, and I motioned him over to the side of the street. I put the change in his hand and told him that I'd made myself a deal -- that if anybody ever asked me for money, I would seek to pray for him first. He just nodded, and we both bowed our heads.

I prayed for God's blessing and for him to find peace. He thanked me afterward. He said his name was Andre, and in response to my question, said he was from Kansas City and Wichita. He was friendly, but not talkative. We shook hands then, and he left. I saw him a little while later, still wandering slowly along the sidewalk. He saw me as I was getting into my car, and he waved.

No comments:

Post a Comment