Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 36: Dozing

I was driving back from lunch today and really felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. It’s a very difficult thing to describe. I can’t even remember what I was thinking about beforehand, but there was just this sudden feeling. Of what? Comfort? Power? God’s presence? An urge to act?
I think it was all those things and more. So I parked as far away from work as I could and still be within walking distance. Then I kept my eyes open. I saw him almost immediately – a guy sitting on a bench, his legs extended out in front of him, just relaxing. He was in the shade on a hot day, and I figured him to be a worker from one of the nearby offices.
Although he was a block away, he was right in my path back to work. I would have to walk right by him. And at first I did. I don’t know if it was a moment of fear or what, but it didn’t last long. I turned around and stopped in front of him. He didn’t see me at first. His eyes were closed. So I waited.
He must have sensed me standing there there because his eyes slowly opened and he looked at me. He was probably 65, nearing the age of retirement, and I could just make out the word “Airbus” on his name tag. “Are you awake?” I asked, making sure he knew I was friendly. He smiled, “Yeah.”
I told him I had a question for him: “I was wondering if I could pray with you,” I said. He absorbed this, and then shook his head. “Well … no,” he said. And then he paused, thinking about this, and explained, “I was just taking a break.” I smiled and assured him I didn’t think there was any problem. I just wanted to offer him a prayer if he’d take one. He thought a second or two longer and declined a second time.
Before I left, however, I asked him why not. After all, that’s a response that really calls for an explanation. “Well,” he said, “I already belong to a church.” I shrugged and told him that was great. Then I said that as I walked back down the street that I would say a prayer for him anyway. He kind of smiled again at that, and I walked away, praying my way back to work. It was a friendly exchange. Nothing negative about it.
As I sit here, I believe strongly that I was led to that man by God. I don’t know why, but it was a good feeling to be obedient.

No comments:

Post a Comment