Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 17: Waiting for a ride

For some reason, I found myself in front of the hospital. Maybe it was just on my brain because my family has spent so much time in hospitals during the past couple of weeks. Or maybe it was because that's where  a lot of hurting people are. But there I was, looking to see where God would lead me.


I parked just outside the emergency room. I saw the chaplain's parking spot was empty when I pulled into the lot, but I didn't park there. I passed several people walking in, and saw a row of people through the window of the emergency room. They were waiting to have their emergencies taken care of. And then I was into the main lobby. 


There was a security guard there, and a receptionist having a relatively heated discussion on the phone. And every now and then a nurse would walk by. After a moment, I saw an older woman standing in the big revolving door, apparently waiting for a ride. She was holding a bag that contained shoes and some other stuff. 


I asked if I could pray for her. She thought about this for a moment. "I don't know whether I need prayer or not," she said. I told her I'd be happy to pray if she'd just give me the OK. She paused a moment longer, and then, "Well, I guess you can." So I prayed for her. She thanked me, and I left.


But it would be a lie to say today was a total success. I passed up -- physically just walked on by -- what I felt was a good opportunity to talk to someone downtown earlier in the day. The guy was standing in front of an old hotel. He wasn't doing much, just looking up at the building. He was probably a visitor from out of town who was staying there. I immediately felt bad as I was walking away. I'm convicted that travelers need prayer. They're away from their families and their homes and the things that hold them accountable.


So I'm praying for more courage.


Scripture of the day: "And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." -- 2 Corinthians 5:15

No comments:

Post a Comment