Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 41: The carny

It was raining as I was driving to our town’s Fall Festival, thinking about fulfilling my mission for the day. And as I drove, I thought how it would be harder while it was raining. And then another thought came – the carnival workers probably were standing around right now as most of their customers were getting out of the rain. That probably would be a good thing.
I was right on the latter. As I got close to the festivities, it started raining harder. And people were running every direction, but mostly to their cars to get out from under it. So I pulled into a spot as someone pulled out, and walked into the fair.
I immediately found what I was looking for, a carnival worker standing in a bit of shelter at the center of the ride he had been operating. It was called the Sizzler – one of those with several arms that attach to individual cars that spin as they rotate around in a circle. (I’d seen it earlier while we were with our family and called it the vomit machine. But I have no personal experience.)
I walked around the fenced area surrounding the ride and through the open gate. The worker didn’t mind me doing it. I walked right up to him, stepping up onto a little platform he was standing on. He was a clean-cut young guy, maybe 25. I asked if I could pray for him. He said yes. Actually it was a “yah.” This guy wasn’t from around here.
But he said I “absolutely” could pray for him. So I did. We talked a few minutes longer. Through his accent, he told me he originally was from South Africa but found his way here through a recruitment agency. Now he travels all over Kansas and Oklahoma working carnivals. But he had no reservations about my request. And he shook my hand later.

No comments:

Post a Comment