Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 29: Two prayers

He was smoking in front of the Hotel at Old Town. I saw him from a block away, just pacing back and forth slowly. He was about 45 years old, wearing a Cox Communications shirt. I asked if I could pray for him. He took this in. I admitted it was a question out of the blue, not one you get every day. But he agreed almost immediately then.

First, however, he told me he was a Christian. And then he said he also would pray for me as well. Now, I was the one a bit off guard, but in a good way. So we prayed. I prayed for God’s blessing upon him, that he would be successful in his work and that he would come to know God deeper every day. Then it was his turn. It was at that point that I got a new perspective, learning what this is all about, what it’s like on the other side of this project – to be the person who’s being ministered to. It was a heartfelt prayer by someone I could tell was a mature Christian. He prayed for my efforts as I “spread God’s Word.” I couldn’t thank him enough. We shook hands and, frankly, almost hugged.

That was the first time, and I hope it’s not the last, that someone has turned the tables on me. It was absolutely more motivation to continue in this service.

Scripture: “For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light.” Psalm 56:13

No comments:

Post a Comment