Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 22: Laboring on Labor Day

We were coming back from buying doughnuts this morning (happy birthday, Isabella!) when I saw the car in the parking lot of the Dollar General. A single car, probably an employee, I thought. So they were open on Labor Day, too. I drove by at first and then, thinking better of it, turned around.

He didn’t seem happy to be there. Who would on a day like this? I bought gum for Mary. She always needs more gum. And I asked him if he’d been busy today. He told me he opened the store at 8. It was about 8:10. So no, he hadn’t been busy. I asked him how long he’d been working there. Three months, he said. (The store opened about three months ago.)

So I made no headway with small talk. And by this time, he’d handed me my receipt. So I asked him if I could pray for him. There was that pause – the same one everyone has at that question, out of the blue. Sure, he said, that would be nice. His demeanor seemed to change ever so slightly. But it was noticeable. He was curious at least. So I prayed for him. He smiled and thanked me as I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment