Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 272: The creed

"I believe in a higher power, greater than myself, who I consider to be the Lord God Almighty above." That was how he answered my question about whether he believed in prayer. It was a creed, of sorts -- something to believe in. And it was a good one at that.

That came at the very end of our encounter. When I first approached him, he was hesitant. He said I could pray for him, but paused for a moment when I added the fact that I wanted to pray for him right there. He was about 60 years old, with a long pony-tail and a ball cap. He looked like he had been working that day. He squinted at me after I'd gotten his attention.

Finally, he let me pray for him, so I did. He seemed to loosen up then. "The power of prayer," he said as he shook my hand. He said we all can use prayer. "So you believe in prayer?" I asked, hoping to draw him out a little more. "Absolutely," he said as he leaned back against his car, "I'm a Christian. I believe in a higher power, greater than myself, who I consider to be the Lord God Almighty above." So he witnessed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment