Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 264: Jesus

That was his name. He was a Hispanic guy driving a large Suburban, and I stopped him at QuikTrip to ask him my question. He actually spoke first. He greeted me, and then he noted the ever-rising gas prices. We both agreed it didn't seem likely they were going to come down any time soon.

So I asked him my question, something that really stumped him. He just looked at me, giving me no answer. So I felt compelled to tell him about my project. "Are you serious?" he said. Sure enough, I told him. He asked my why I would do something like that, and I told him I felt God prompting me to pray for people. "Did you see the Bible in my truck?" he asked. I hadn't. Turns out, he was a Christian, on his way home from his job as a truck driver.

We talked for a few moments then. That's when he told me his name -- "just like Jesus," he said. He goes to church at Resurrection church in Wichita, down where they're trying to reach the "gang-bangers," he said. He had been attending a different church, but left because the pastor thought he was just going there to pick up girls. My new friend also told me how he played instruments at church, mostly the guitar and piano. His nephew has a band and already has made a record.

He was friendly, and, obviously, very talkative. He said he was a believer, and I had not reason to doubt him. But he also was very curious about my project. For that, I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment