Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 261: Geraniums

The little couple were looking for flowers outside of Leeker's. In a little box, they'd put a couple of small geraniums, and they were discussing in depth what else to buy. "Let's just get these," the woman said. They were in their 60s, maybe their 70s. They were short people. The woman used a cane -- one of her legs was badly out of shape.

Normally, I look for people who are alone to ask my question. I always figure you might be more receptive, and reflective, if you're alone. But for some reason, I felt the prompting to talk to this couple. They weren't sure about me at first. They looked at me skeptically, and then they wouldn't look at me. Almost no eye contact. The woman looked at her husband. He just shrugged.

I was patient with them, though, and eventually a "yes" came out. So I prayed. They were silent during the prayer, and quit looking for more flowers. Then it was over. It's funny how someone's demeanor can change after a prayer. They both smiled and thanked me.

No comments:

Post a Comment