Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 265: A sadness

I saw a friend of mine at Walmart. I had no idea what a trial he's gone through during the past couple of weeks. His mother had died of cancer. The early prognosis had been a good one. The doctors thought she would do well with her treatments. But the cancer spread quickly. It was over before my friend could make it to her side in Ohio.

What do you pray? For understanding? For comfort? For some sort of divine peace? Standing there in Walmart with my friend and his three kids standing around us, I prayed for all those things. But it really was one of those Romans 8:26 moments, where we read that the Spirit is willing to intercede "with wordless groans" when we don't know what to pray. And maybe it's those prayers of the Spirit that lead us to Romans 8:28, where "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him."

No comments:

Post a Comment