Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 263: 'No comprende'

I've been worried about the language barrier -- not incessantly or anything -- but I've generally steered clear of trying to talk to someone if there was a chance they don't speak English. I broke that rule tonight. I stopped to talk to a short Hispanic guy who was standing next to a little red truck. His dominant feature was a big bushy mustache.

I asked to pray for him. He kind of shook his head no, but didn't say anything. I just played dumb. "Is that a yes?" I asked. And then he explained, "No comprende." Well, I didn't completely buy that. So I made the praying gesture, putting my hands together and closing my eyes, and I asked him if he knew what that meant. He nodded his head yes. So I told him I wanted to pray for him.

Still he shook his head no, but I just bowed my head and said, "Dear Jesus, ... " I stopped then and looked at him. "Do you know that name?" The man across from me couldn't lie. He said yes. So I prayed to Jesus, asking for God's blessing on him. The guy was looking at me funny when I was done. But I just shook his hand, thanked him and left -- all the while thanking God that no matter what language it is, people know the name Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment