Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 107: Hospitality

I found myself at the Hyatt Regency in Wichita. Our company hosted an event there, and I walked the halls afterward seeing who I would find. A few guests were sitting around the large lobby, and the bar seemed to be busy. I could see a basketball game on the big screen.
At first, there was no one available to talk to. Everyone was in some conversation, and the hotel staff were busy doing their jobs. So I just stood in front of the revolving doors and waited. Then, not wanting to look predatory, I took out my cell phone. There wasn’t anyone to call. And our phone isn’t a smart phone. Lacking any real task or activity, I got creative: I scrolled through the contacts file. There are a lot of names in there!

A couple minutes later – after several rounds of guests had walked into the hotel, chatting happily – a hotel employee passed by and noticed me standing there. “How are you doing?” he asked. He was friendly, a young guy probably in his first job, dressed all in black. “Great,” I said. “Can I ask you a question?”
He stepped over beside me. “Sure,” he said. Everything about him was polite, clean cut, very responsive – everything you’d want in a hospitality employee. He clasped his hands in front of him as he listened to me.
“Can I pray for you?” I asked. Here again, he was responsive, and he immediately said yes. I clarified, telling him I wanted to say a quick prayer for him right there. Again, he agreed. So I prayed.
Afterward, he thanked me. “I’m a Christian, and I really appreciated you doing that,” he said. “I’ve accepted Jesus into my heart. It’s something I did when I was 12 years old.” That’s how old I was when I was baptized, and I told him that. He thanked me then again, and asked where I was from.
Our conversation ended shortly afterward. As I drove home, I was glad I’d found him. I was glad to find someone who openly professed his faith. He just outright said what he believed, and I know I’ve not always done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment