Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 101: Meatball sandwich

He was standing behind the counter at Subway, working over three footlong sandwiches I'd ordered (it takes a lot to feed our crew). He was a young guy, with a long pony-tail, a scraggly beard and a ball cap. I'd never seen him in there before, so I figured he was new to the job. 

But he was efficient, as those Subway sandwich people are designed to be. He also was quiet. No small talk. So I just watched. Lettuce. Tomato. Mayonnaise. Meatballs. (Not all on the same sandwich, of course.) I paid and he handed me my change, and my receipt. I asked him my question then.

He looked down a little, and said, "Thank you." I wasn't sure what to make of that answer. He seemed to appreciate the question, but I told him I wanted to pray for him right then. There was another employee in the back of the store, but I think he was out of earshot. Otherwise, the place was empty.

The sandwich "artist" agreed then, and I prayed for him. He bowed his head, too. I prayed that God would bless him as he finished his work that night. After the "amen," I thanked him and wished him a happy Thanksgiving. He had a smile on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment