Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 84: Soap, milk

That’s what I bought. When you go to the grocery store for no particular reason – other than to find someone to pray for – ideas start running through your mind about what to buy. I settled on milk, because our family of six always could use milk, and soap, because it was the one other legitimate need I could think of.
It was about 9 p.m., and Leeker’s Family Foods was almost devoid of customers. For customers, there were two guys there, probably a father and son, buying an assortment of groceries. They spent a lot of time in the detergent aisle. At one point, I saw them holding the cap of one bottle in their hands, apparently checking the smell. Also in the store was a guy who’d just gotten a ticket. I’d seen him pulled over in the parking lot, the flashing lights of the Park City Police Department behind him.
And then there were the employees, at least four of them. I prayed for the woman who checked me out of the store. She was about 45 and chewing gum. Her tag said her name was Renea. And she willingly accepted my invitation for a prayer. I prayed for God’s blessing as she finished out her evening of work. She thanked me, and I left, milk and soap in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment