Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 364: Roy from Tulsa


He was a tall skinny guy, standing next to a little white car, filling up with gas at the Park City QuikTrip. I was getting gas, too, but I didn't wait long to ask him my question. He was, after all, the reason I was there.

The guy looked at me and then smiled really big. It was a nice smile. He struck me as a guy who had a lot of energy. He said I could pray for him, but, "May I ask why?" I told him I like to pray for someone everyday. That pretty much satisfied, and he stepped toward me so I could pray for him.

Afterward, we shook hands, and he asked me what my name was. His was Roy, and he was from Tulsa, traveling back home after visiting his parents in Nebraska. He was more than half way there now -- just two and a half hours left. I wished him a safe trip.

And then I got back into my car, knowing that I have just one day left in this project.

Today, I gave my testimony during church about this project. This comes almost exactly a year after my pledge to start it. The pastor's sermon was about witnessing -- where we tell of what God has done for us. That's what this project is about for me. It may be about other things for other people. But at the core of it for me, what God did in my life during this year, is show me what he can do. God did this, not me. But I got to be a part of his activity in the world. I am so thankful for that.

I'm also so thankful for all the prayers of support and the words of encouragement I've gotten along the way from people both inside and outside the church. (Thank you!) Part of this has been wondering what people think about all of this. Do people think I'm a kook? I don't really care, but it means so much to know there are praying and supportive people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment