Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 252: Special Ed

A special day. A special guy. We spent the day between home and church, and I went out looking for someone to pray for at about 9 p.m. I found him standing next to a blue minivan at QuikTrip. His wife was sitting in the passenger's seat, and the man was standing there waiting. He was in his 30s, a guy with dark hair and a serious look on his face.

I suspected, based on how he was dressed in slacks and a button-down shirt, that he'd just left church. You never know for sure about that kind of thing, but this time it was true. He willingly said yes to my question, and stepped over the gas hose to me and asked me my name. His was Ed Young, and he told me he was glad to meet me. I told him about my project, just to give him a little context, and I noted it was a special day -- Easter. And so, I remarked, that made him a special guy.

"That's why they call me Special Ed," he said. So he knew how to go with the flow. So I prayed, asking God to be with Ed and to remind him of his presence on this special day of grace. And I asked God to give Ed guidance. During this, my new friend assented with "Yes, Lord," every now and then.

Later, he asked what church I attended. He said he attended Grace Assembly in northeast Wichita, and he invited me to visit -- Sundays at 10 and 6. It's the first time during this project that anyone's invited me to church! I thanked him again, and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment